As homeowners we should all have useful knowledge that helps us to maintain and keep functioning our home systems. Your plumbing system can certainly prove to be challenging at times. It most definitely needs proper care and maintenance to ensure that your family has all the plumbing functions needed at all times. Homeowners should acquaint themselves with the various systems in their home and learn how to properly maintain them. This would include learning helpful plumbing tasks and tips to keep your home up and running smoothly.
Basic plumbing techniques and knowledge can help every homeowner be able to maintain their plumbing pipes and drains and keep them in proper working order. The team here at Steve Mull Plumbing would like to share some very useful tips and helpful plumbing tasks that will help you solve common plumbing issues that happen at home.
Important and Useful Plumbing Tips and Tasks to Understand
There are a number of useful tips that homeowners can follow to ensure that their plumbing system works properly and efficiently each day. We would like to share some helpful insight with you here.
- Pay attention to what you send down the drain – Your drains are specifically designed to handle and process the flow of water not all sorts of debris and trash. Often times, we allow food particles, grease and other bits of trash to wash down the drain. Be sure to avoid putting waste items down your water drains.
- Know where the shut off valves are located – Whenever you are faced with a plumbing problem it is especially helpful that you know where the shut off valves are located. This allows you to turn off the water quickly if ever you have a leak.
- Stay atop the water pressure – When the water pressure in your home is too high it can actually result in burst pipes. If the pressure is too low, you may find it challenging to run specific appliances such as washing machines or dishwashers. Be sure to check the water pressure in your home and keep it regulated.
- Know how to use a simple plunger or snake – Many people tend to rely upon chemicals to unclog drains. However, this can be very harmful to your plumbing system. A simple plumbing task to master is that of using a plunger or a snake properly to avoid harm to your plumbing system and pipes or your septic system if you have one.
- Perform routine monitoring of any leaks – Dripping faucets, washing machines and running toilets are some of the most common culprits for leaks. Learn how to handle and fix leaks promptly to avoid costly damages and repairs. All types of leaks should be attended to as soon as possible. If you fail to address them promptly, you may find yourself faced with damages to cabinets, floors, or drywall to name a few. Further, leaks that are left unattended to can result in the formation of harmful mold spores.
- Avoid flushable items – Though there are many products on the market that say they are safe for flushing, be sure to take that extra moment to ensure that products you have purchased and are using regularly are, in fact, safe for flushing. Simple, common knowledge can be incredibly useful.
- Protect your pipes from frigid cold weather – It is extremely useful and important to understand the significance of protecting your pipes from freezing. When water freezes, it will cause your pipes to expand. This can, over time, lead to pipes that burst. Learning about insulation can help to avoid messes and costly plumbing repairs. This is a plumbing task that should not be taken lightly but rather learned by all homeowners.
- Be cautious and careful with your garbage disposal – Though the name implies that you can simply discard garbage into this appliance, it is very important for you to learn and understand which foods should never be put in a garbage disposal. Educate yourself on this topic so as to avoid severe damages and a possible need for replacement.
There You Have It
Here at Steve Mull Plumbing, we believe that homeowners who are aware of common plumbing data and basic information and can perform simple plumbing tasks are sure to be able to handle a variety of plumbing issues when they arise. For more information on plumbing systems and how to solve household plumbing problems, or to schedule a service appointment, be sure to contact one of our dedicated team members here at Steve Mull Plumbing. For all your plumbing needs, put your trust into the hands of our skilled professionals, some of the absolute best in the industry!
Get A Quote