Summer is right around the corner so we can all start making plans for relaxing and celebrating in the warm summer weather with family and friends. We can plan those exciting trips to the ocean and the beach, and a variety of home barbecues and gatherings. However, it is important to keep in mind that during the hot summer months your plumbing can experience a variety of plumbing problems that require various solutions. Your water system can experience issues that have a range of solutions from a simple plunging to the installation of a water pump.
There are a number of common plumbing problems all homeowners have to deal with at one time or another in the summer months. Here at Steve Mull Plumbing we wanted to take this time to familiarize you with some of those problems and their solutions.
- Sprinkler Issues – We all love our automatic sprinklers, but they can experience all sorts of wear and tear over time and present with damaged heads or hoses that have leaks. When this occurs, water is wasted. Be sure to check your sprinklers and replace any worn out parts.
- Clogged Toilets – It always seems when the entire family is home for the summer that, without fail, the toilet gets clogged. We suggest you remind all your family members not to flush things down the toilet that are not safe and flushable, and do not over use the toilet paper. Be sure to keep a plunger on hand for those quick fixes and don’t hesitate to contact our skilled team of plumbers for all those complicated problems and emergencies.
- Sewer Line Backups – It often rains heavily in the summer time and this can cause problems for your sewer line. The excessive rain will penetrate the dry ground, and will often transfer loose ground soil into your pipes by way of small cracks. If this occurs, you are apt to experience a water backup in your bath or toilet. Be sure to contact our team should you experience such a problem.
- A Clogged Garbage Disposal – Summer means lots of barbecuing and grilling, which usually results in a lot of food leftovers and scraps that you just want to put down the garbage disposal. Remember, however, that bones, rinds of various melons, corn cobs, and orange and cherry pits should never be put through a garbage disposal system. In addition, avoid putting grease and cooking oil down the disposal as well since both will quickly clog the system. If you are going to use your garbage disposal often, be sure to run cold water for about 15 seconds both before and after using the disposal so as to avoid any clogs or blockages from occurring.
- Sump Pump Issues – Most people who suffer with flooding in their basement of any kind, typically have a sump pump installed. In the summer time it rains a good deal and many times that rain is torrential, which can lead to flooding issues in your basement. You want to ensure that your sump pump is working at peak levels, especially after the long hard winter months, and it is in tip top shape so you do not run into any complicated problems during your summer season.
Summer is truly a fun time of year for everyone and the folks here at Steve Mull Plumbing want to be sure that plumbing problems don’t rob you of your summer fun. Pay close attention and give a bit of extra focus and care to your plumbing elements to avoid summer setbacks with your plumbing system. To learn more about summer plumbing dilemmas or to schedule any type of plumbing services or repairs, contact our dedicated team here at Steve Mull Plumbing. We look forward to serving you and to providing you with the highest quality plumbing products and services this side of Tennessee.