There are a number of appliances and systems that play an important role in every home. Your HVAC system is probably the biggest system in your home, with your electrical and plumbing systems running a tight close second. With that said, many homeowners overlook the important role and the frequent use of their hot water heater until such time they are faced with a problem.
When family members are showering or bathing, or mom is washing clothes or the dishes, it is quite easy to simply take advantage of the easy and consistent availability of hot water when it is needed. Just the same as all the other appliances and systems in your home, your water heater requires proper and routine maintenance as well. When you perform routine maintenance, it adds to the efficiency of the unit, helps to save you money over the long run, and extends the life expectancy of the unit as well. With that said, the highly skilled plumbing specialists here at Steve Mull Plumbing put together some important facts and tips for proper maintenance of your unit.
STEPS YOU CAN TAKE
- Simple aesthetic inspection – We suggest you take a moment, perhaps monthly, to perform a simple visual inspection of your water heater. For starters, take a peek at the base of the unit and see if there is any accumulation of water on the floor, check for visible leaks in the tank, and give a close look at the base of the tank to ensure there is no rust.
- T&P valve inspection – The T&P valve (temperature and pressure valve) should be inspected annually. That’s where the professionals here at Steve Mull Plumbing come in. The valve is located at the top of the tank or could be located on its side. The valve has a discharge tube that flows downward toward the base of the tank. Our plumbing techs will perform an inspection, which includes a focus on the T&P valve ensuring that its shutoff feature is working properly and there are no leaks present. If problems present themselves, our team will identify both the problems and effective solutions at that time.
- Invest in insulation – Its typical for homeowners to protect their plumbing pipes and even electrical wires with insulation, but often times the water heater is overlooked. Insulation is a simple added safety feature that not only keeps your unit from working overtime, but also contributes to energy efficiency and the unit’s lifespan.
- Monitor the water temperature – The temperature of your hot water should be near to 120 degrees. You can set that temperature higher or lower depending upon your own preferences, but exceeding the 120 degrees can cause the unit to work harder and ultimately cause an increase in energy consumption and utility bills.
- Flush the system – Finally, it is beneficial to perform a simple flush of your system from time to time. Our specialists are on hand to assist with this task. They will look to see if the water is cloudy at all, and if so, will recommend a complete flush out of your hot water heater.
PLUMBING SPECIALISTS YOU CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON
Whatever your plumbing needs may be, and that includes a complete inspection and proper routine maintenance of your hot water heater, rest assured the professionals here at Steve Mull Plumbing have got you covered. For further information about hot water units or any other plumbing issues you may have, give a shout out to one of our team members today. We strive to provide you with only the best all round plumbing products and services Lebanon has to offer!