Just like your HVAC heating and cooling system, the plumbing system in your home requires routine maintenance to avoid any problems or costly repairs. When you perform plumbing preventative maintenance you enhance the overall efficiency and functionality of your home’s faucets and plumbing pipes. With that said, the team here at Steve Mull Plumbing wants to share some simple but important tips to help you keep your home plumbing system operating smoothly and at peak levels.
Simple Plumbing Maintenance Tips
Here at Steve Mull Plumbing our clients are our number one priority. Our team of skilled plumbers is steadfast in their commitment to meet the individual needs of all our valued clients. We strive to do this in timelines that are accommodating to our clients’ needs and with prices that are truly affordable.
Some important maintenance tips to practice for your home plumbing system include, but are not limited to the following:
For the Kitchen
1. The garbage disposal tends to be the number one culprit in the kitchen when it comes to plumbing issues. Never put banana peels, egg shells, fibrous materials, carrots or watermelon rinds down the garbage disposal. You should also avoid putting coffee grinds in the disposal as well.
2. Whenever you use the garbage disposal be sure to run cold water through the disposal for about 15 seconds after use to clear out the disposal line.
3. Make it a habit to clean your garbage disposal routinely by grinding some ice cubes along with a small amount of dish detergent and any citrus peels you may have for about 30-45 seconds. This will cause excess debris sitting in the disposal to be washed down and will also make your disposal smell better.
4. NEVER pour liquid grease down the kitchen sink drain or even into the garbage disposal. Once the grease has cooled down you can then dispose of it in the trash.
For the Bathroom
1. Once per week make a habit of rinsing the drains with hot water in order to keep them flowing freely and smoothly;
2. Use strainers in your showers and tubs to collect soap, hair and other particles. Be sure to clean baths and showers regularly;
3. Do not flush all sorts of things down the toilet. Items such as sanitary products, cotton balls, and Kleenex to name a few, should not be flushed down the toilet since they do not dissolve. Without dissolving these items can cause the plumbing lines in your toilet to become clogged.
4. If you have any faucets that are leaking, be sure to have them repaired right away to avoid any additional damage to the faucets or to the adjoining fixtures.
5. Be sure to clean your shower heads routinely to avoid clogging.
For the Laundry Room
1. Always use a strainer with your washing machine hose.
2. Inspect your hoses regularly looking for any signs of wear or tear. If noticed, be sure to replace the hoses as soon as possible.
3. If your washing machine is very old, it may be more practical to invest in a new state of the art washer that will prove to be more efficient since multiple costly repairs may be required with an aged washing machine.
Keep In Mind
Even with these plumbing preventative maintenance tasks performed routinely, you can still have a variety of other plumbing problems occur. If you do encounter other plumbing problems that are far too complex for you to understand or resolve, be sure to reach out to the pros here at Steve Mull Plumbing. We highly recommend you put your plumbing problems into the hands of the experts to ensure your problem is resolved properly and to help prevent any future plumbing issues as well.
You Can Count on Our Team
Here at Steve Mull Plumbing we take tremendous pride in providing all our clients with only the highest quality plumbing parts and services this side of Lebanon. For more information on how to perform effective plumbing preventative maintenance or to schedule a service appointment, reach out to one of our friendly team members today!