Winter has come to a close and spring has arrived, which means it’s time to give focus to your plumbing to ensure your system and pipes have not incurred any damage from the cold winter months. Here at Steve Mull Plumbing we recommend that all our valued clients perform a quick inspection of their home plumbing system to prepare for the spring months ahead.
SPRING PLUMBING TIPS
- Perform a visual inspection of your system – As part of your spring preparation, take time out to inspect the pipes in your home, specifically those under your toilets, sinks, in your basement area and pipes that are installed near to any exterior walls in your home. In the winter months these pipes can easily freeze up, crack and leak. With that said, it is important to ensure the safety, functionality and integrity of all your plumbing system pipes.
- Check for toilet leaks – Toilets that leak can result in increased amounts of wasted water. Often times toilet leaks are hard to detect since they can be hidden and even silent. To check your toilets for leaks simply remove the tank cover from the toilet and add a bit of food color to the water in the tank. Wait about 20 minutes and then view the water in your toilet bowl to see if the water has changed color as a result of the food coloring leaking from the tank. If you detect a leak, be sure to reach out to the professionals here at Steve Mull Plumbing.
- Clean and flush the gutters – It is also important to keep your gutters as well as the downspouts free of any buildup and debris so as to keep water distanced from your home. As simple a task as this may be, it can play a significant role in keeping your home safe from water damage especially with the typical heavy spring rains.
- Check the water heater – Be sure to check the temperature of your water heater and ensure that it is set at 120 degrees. This will not only protect your family from the risk of water that is too hot, but will also help to reduce your utility bills. After setting the appropriate temperature, be sure to also inspect the water heater for any leaks, cracks or corrosion. In addition, sediment tends to build up at the base of the water tank which would require a tank flushing. Be sure to contact our team of certified plumbers to take care of your plumbing needs.
- Check the outdoor spigots – Many homeowners fail to drain the water from the outdoor spigots before the onset of the cold weather months. When the water sits in the spigot during freezing temperatures, it can cause the pipes to freeze and even burst. As part of your spring plumbing tasks it is important to determine whether or not you have an outdoor leak. Simply turn on the water spigot on your outdoor hose and see if water begins to pour out of the spigot. If so, chances are you have a leak and a broken pipe somewhere. To identify the leak and repair the broken pipe turn the water off and get in touch with one of our licensed plumbers to provide the needed repairs.
TRUST OUR LICENSED PLUMBERS SEASON AFTER SEASON
Here at Steve Mull Plumbing our team of highly skilled and licensed plumbers takes pride in providing only the highest quality plumbing products and services to all our valued clients. Our team is steadfast in their commitment to meet the individual plumbing needs of our clients in timelines that are accommodating to their schedules and offering prices that are truly affordable. With spring now upon us, it is time for you to take care of your spring plumbing tasks to ensure that your pipes and system are able to perform at peak levels. To schedule an inspection of your plumbing system or any other needed plumbing services or repairs, give a shout out to one of our staff today. We look forward to our every opportunity to serve you and hope you have a safe and happy spring ahead!!