As homeowners, we all want to stay on top of our home systems, whether plumbing, water or HVAC in our efforts to avoid costly repairs and replacements. When the weather outside presents with heavy rainfall, it is important to understand how the rain affects plumbing in our homes. With this understanding we can avoid serious issues from occurring, such as the prevention of flooding in a basement or crawl space.
There are a number of ways in which the rain affects plumbing and the team here at Steve Mull Plumbing wants to take this time to familiarize our clients with the impact rain can have on your plumbing system and how.
WAYS IN WHICH RAIN CAN AFFECT A PLUMBING SYSTEM
- Added pressure on water pipes – Plumbing systems for the most part are quite durable, but it can be near to impossible to predict what inclement weather can actually do to your system. Heavy, torrential rainfall will obviously saturate the ground and that saturation easily turns your topsoil and sand to heavy mud. Heavy mud increases the pressure on the exterior of your pipes which ultimately can trigger a whirlwind of issues.
- Movement and even rupturing of underground water pipes – When the ground adjacent to underground water pipes becomes softened as a result of rainfall, the increased pressure that is created by the transformation of soil and dirt into mud often times creates a shifting. This shifting typically causes water pipes to move and bend into awkward positions that, over time, can cause a pipe to rupture.
- A blockage in water pipes – If pipes suffer damage and leaks as a result of heavy rainfall and ruptures occur, debris is able to find its way into the pipes and cause serious blockages. These blockages force the water to backup into a basement or crawl space. In addition, tree roots under the ground grow and expand over time with heavy rains, and can create leaks and cracks in the piping resulting in more ruptures and blockages.
- Increased working and running time for sump pumps – If the ground on your property is mostly dry, during heavy rains the water is able to drain away. However, if the ground is not permeable and is already in a saturated state, when additional heavy rains occur the rainwater will build up around your home’s foundation. If your home is not equipped with a sump pump, the water is able to collect and results in flooding. With a sump pump, the water finds its way to the sump pit which triggers the pump into action removing the water altogether. When there is heavy rainfall, the sump pump has to work a whole lot harder and longer. Be sure that you invest in a sump pump that is sufficient for your home’s size and that it is always in proper working order and ready to work when rain storms occur.
- Basement and/or crawl space flooding – Heavy rains can, if a pipe blockage or a broken sump pump is present, cause flooding in the basement or crawl space of your home. When this occurs, it is important to address the problem immediately so as to avoid additional problems and costly repairs. If you allow the floodwaters to remain in your basement or crawl space for an extended period of time, the excessive moisture will result in the formation of mold spores, and even mice or termites. With that said, use a wet-vac or a sump pump to remove the water right away and follow up with a dehumidifier which will help to prevent mold growth and help to dry out the affected area quickly.
STEVE MULL PLUMBING – THE PROFESSIONALS YOU CAN ALWAYS TRUST
Here at Steve Mull Plumbing are team of dedicated, certified professionals strive to provide all our clients with the highest quality products and services this side of Lebanon. Our team is committed to the well-being of all our clients and is on hand to meet your every need. We want to be sure our clients are aware of how rain affects plumbing and are on hand to answer any questions you may have. For more information on how to protect your plumbing system from the challenges of heavy rainfall or if you are in need of quality, affordable plumbing services or repairs, then simply give a shout out to one of our team today. We look forward to serving you and to providing you with all the insight, services and repairs you need for all your plumbing issues.